Thursday, February 2, 2012

What's For Breakfast?

How are those New Year's Resolutions going?  I started back to the gym this week after a very long hiatus in hopes that the N.Y R. people would have thinned out.  I know that's mean, but I don't like to work out in a crowded gym and I was surprised to see it was still crowded.  It's good to know there are still some dedicated people out there, but I have some issues that I need to vent.  Just a couple pet peeves of mine about gym etiquette.  The first one is mostly a problem with the ladies.  When you're at the gym, please get off the machine to have your conversation with your long lost friend.  You are wasting both our time. Some of us want to quickly work out and get out of there. 

 Now for all you big muscly men, none of you probably read my blog , but if you do, your mommy isn't at the gym to clean up after you.  Wipe down the machine after you've sweat all over it and re-rack your weights. 
Now I remember why I stopped going to the gym.
I have come to the conclusion that I don't play nice with others when I'm on a mission to workout, so for the good of all parties concerned, I will only go when it's not crowded.

Thank you, I'm done ranting, I feel better now. 
Back to the post.

 If one of your N.Y.R's was to eat a healthier breakfast this post is one you might be interested in.  My husband and I have a green smoothie around 6:00 AM to get the day started. Around 10:00 ish I have a late morning snack and this is one of my favorites.  
 I make it on Sunday evening and eat it for the week. 
It's basically a quiche without the crust. 
I start with a dozen eggs. 
 If you have cholesterol issues you can use an egg substitute like Egg Beaters. 

Beat the eggs.


I add whatever veggies I have available.  Cauliflower, kale, Brussels sprouts, collard greens, onions, mushrooms, asparagus, broccoli, peppers, spinach, tomatoes, etc. all work great.

Today I'm using some left over broccoli.
About a cup, sorry I don't measure much.  It's one of the reasons I'm a terrible baker.

I had a leftover spinach salad, so that got tossed in too.  The salad had onion, tomatoes, and a little goat cheese in it.  Add everything to a greased casserole dish.


Pour in the beaten eggs and add salt and pepper.
You can also add a little of your favorite cheese and some Tabasco sauce for a kick in the taste buds.


Bake at 325- 350 degrees for about 30 minutes or until the center is thoroughly cooked.  You can test if it's done by sticking the center with a tooth pick to make sure it's firm not gooey. 


Slice off a square and garnish with some fresh avocados and /or salsa. 
I was out of salsa for the picture. This is a great meal if you are too busy to make breakfast in the morning.  Just take a slice with you on your way out the door to work.  Heat it up later and it makes a great breakfast or mid morning snack.  The protein from the eggs and the fiber from the veggies keep me full, energized, and satisfied. 


 Hope all you are going strong on those N.Y.R's. 
If you see me at the gym, run the other way.
Thanks for checking it out.

You might also be interested in:

The Scott's Crib

5 comments:

  1. Ha! I hate the gym, never belonged to a big one, but did workout with the PTI guys at the volleyball gym while Kate was either rehabbing or practicing. Small environment!! I really need to get back to doing something, but she drives herself to the gym now (and it's not close enough to warrant me making the trip there even though I love the facility). There is a somewhat new place nearby that is ONE on ONE and one client to ONE room...right up my alley. Plan on looking into that. Thanks for sharing the crustless quiche. Love quiche, and have time on Sunday nigths to fix it (our shopping day too so I will have plenty of veggies on hand to choose from). If it is there and ready to eat, I am more likely to eat right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you, Shannon! I am not a talker-while-I workout person and prefer to exercise and get out but I see that it is a social occasion for some others..I too used to resort to going later but it cut into my day too much. I have settled for Wii Fit, Zumba and hikes besides running up and down the staircase 100 times a day. Thanks for the recipe, I enjoy quiche and will certainly try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love spinach and eggs or any green veggie and peppers thrown in. I hate the gym- we have our own upstairs now that the boys are gone. No pervs up there, either! Gym slimeballs are just gross! But the talkers...ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks delicious, great idea for the week!
    Thanks,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Im so happy to see more bloggers getting healthy this year! Yay! This would be a great entry for my Healthier Crib and Family Challenge:) Each link up counts as an entry to a monthly giveaway, I hope you'll join us and share your journey with me:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...