Monday, February 6, 2012

Thrift Store Bamboo Shelving

Casey is over the black and white room and would like an Anythingology makeover. 
I'm dying to get started! 
She is lacking storage and here's one solution I came up with.
Bamboo shelves, compliments of our local thrift store.



Priced at $45 it fit right into my budget. 
I was a little nervous about buying it on the spot without Casey's seal of approval.  Thrift stores don't take back returns.  I was afraid it wouldn't be there for long at the price and the condition it was in.  I wasn't sure it was the look she was going for, but she loved it right away and could see it would be perfect once painted a crisp white.


These shelves were in pristine condition, well made, and VERY HEAVY.
I got started painting right away.


Twelve cans of spray paint later, I completed the paint job. 
I WAY underestimated how much paint I needed and had to go back to buy more paint twice! 
In hindsight, I should have rolled primer on all the flat shelves and spray painted the lattice work. 
The paint ended up costing more than the furniture, ugh.


Oh well, I like the finished result and it's still cheaper than if I had bought a new piece of furniture.  It's also way better quality than a newer piece of furniture. 
This thing is so solid, you could throw a mattress on top of it and make it a platform bed or use it as a jungle gym.  They just don't make furniture like this anymore.
Here it is ready for the haul into Casey's room.


I love it against the black walls, but those are going soon.
Casey rearranged her room herself and wanted the shelves on the far wall where her bed used to be. 
Rearranging furniture as a kid is one of the first signs of a future addiction to decorating.



To see the original post I did about Casey's room click here
I must warn you that the pictures on this post of her room are really bad. 
 It was from my old, old camera and I didn't know how to edit photos back then.
What am I going to do without Picnik?
Black rooms are difficult to photograph and I have several of them in my house. 
The photos always need major help with editing.
Have you found a good alternative to Picnik for editing your photos?
Please share it with me.


Along with Picnik closing I won't have access to the Nikon D90 I have been lucky enough to be using for the past couple months. 
At least I know what to save up for now. 
I love that camera. 


Here are some last parting shots of the room before it gets a transformation.
I still love the black and white, but it's not my room.


The rug is from Target.  I made the window treatment from drapery panels from Target.  I did the crown molding and window casing trim myself, The bedding is from Kohl's. 
The bulletin boards are from Marshall's.  The dresser was mine when I was a kid.  The side table is from Marshall's.


Say good bye to the black and white, this teenager wants something softer and lighter.




Working on any storage projects or room transformations lately?
Found a new photo editing program you like as well as Picnik?

Thanks for checking it out.


To see other black and white rooms and bamboo projects check out the posts below.


12 comments:

  1. What a FIND! It's gorgeous.

    The room is fantastic. Change is good too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! I just love this room, but I can't wait to see what new awesomeness you do with it.
    I am so disappointed in Google for doing away with Picnik! I don't know of any user friendly programs just like Picnik but I use G+ and a lot of the Picnik editing functions are on that. Also they added several of the functions to the latest version of Picasa. We have Photoshop so maybe I should attempt to use that instead. Sigh.. that is a lot of learning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had not seen your previous post on this room so I do have to go back and take a look. Amazing work, Shannon..love the window treatments and how that shelving has turned out. I have been using some spray paint these past few days (outdoors of course) but something has given me a headache every time. It is a lot of work/paint for all those nooks and crannies...looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great find! It looks so good painted white. Love her room, but having two girls who BOTH have gone through the black and white phase, I totally understand. Oh, and I made the crustless quiche this morning (added, spinach, kale, broccoli, tomatoes and some monteray jack to mine). YUM!!! So thank you for posting about it...so easy, super yummy and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow! that is a find! and bummer she's over the black and white. But oh what fun for momma to get to re-decorate it! cant wait to see what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the room as it is! But I understand her need to update :) The white shelving looks great! I hate that spray paint is so darned expensive too! It always takes more than I expected :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks great. over the black and white? gosh...thought you just did that room makeover. but then again, have a horrible memory. can't wait to see what's next. love the thrift find. keep me posted on your picnic alternative. still in mourning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. good luck! Cant wait to see what you do with the space!!!
    Tana

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I love the black & white room!!! Can't wait to see what you do with it though! And those shelves are to die for in white. Love them.
    That is too funny that we have the same dining room furniture! My chairs came in that super light wood color that the top of the table came in. I painted the chairs white and had the table top stained super dark. My table's legs came the way they are now- a light grayish white that looks distressed in places. I love the table; the detail is so pretty. I was just ready to upgrade the chairs to something that would make the table look it's best. I haven't seen anyone else with a table like it so that's really funny- we both know a good thing when we see it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks great! I know what you mean about the quality of the furniture! That's going to be one big transformation, can't wait to see. I've seen some alternatives to picnik, there were on Between Naps on the Porch. Right off hand I can't remember what they were. I usually just do them on iphoto on my mac. It's a lifesaver :)
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm way late, but I just found out about your blog, read this post, and want to give you a tip on a photo editing site (just in case you're still looking for one!). Photoshop.com has a free photo editor program -- go under Online Tools and select Photoshop Express Editor. Voila! I really REALLY like your blog and just subscribed. So thank you for what you do here. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...