Thursday, November 17, 2011

Velvet Pumpkins and a Thanksgiving Tablescape Preview

We're hosting Thanksgiving again this year and I'm so excited! 
I love entertaining.



I posted earlier about my blue pumpkins and I showed you how I made these. 


I've been drooling over these velvet pumpkins .  The originals are pricey, 3 for $84. 
 I tucked this picture away with plans on making some at a later date.

Then I found this great tutorial at the Lemonista and decided to make some for my
Thanksgiving table.


Mine are just a little different.  I couldn't find enough real pumpkin stems so I made my own out of clay.  I can't find my stem pictures, but it's very simple.  I shaped the stems out of air dry Crayola clay and spray painted the stems gold.  I notched all the tops of my stems to hold place cards.


 Another change I made was to add a couple stitches from the center top of my pumpkins through the center of the bottom.  I like a flatter squished down pumpkin. 
 Just hot glue the clay stems on and that's it.


The small pumpkins will be used on my Thanksgiving table to hold place cards for each guest. 
The extras will be used for the center piece.


I made 18 pumpkins for around $25. 
If I had purchased these that would have cost me around $500. 


I mixed in some real pumpkin stems and they received the same coat of spray paint.





I'll mix in some silver and gold foliage for some pumpkin glam.  I'm not sure if we will be eating inside or out this year? 
We'll have to see if the weather cooperates.


Are you hosting Thanksgiving? 
Are you whipping up any DIY creations for your tablescape this year?

I would love to see them!

Thanks for checking it out.

16 comments:

  1. Love these! Especially the vibrant blue color!! You are so creative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, I love these! The soft texture and colour are so pretty. You cold totally sell these. Love!

    Thanks for visiting me before. I have an awesome throw pillow giveaway happening now -- if you'd like, I'd love if you came by and entered!

    Jenny
    www.simcoestreet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh these are awesome!
    Red and green was 2009, this purple, gold was 2010 and this year I picked apple green, gold and some white.
    Every year a little different:)
    Lovely greetings...

    http://pudel-design.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty, just like everything you do! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are so pretty! I can picture them as decorations at a princess party, too. And $500 to buy them?! You totally got the better end of the deal with your DIY versions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh, they are precious. I love the colours and the softness. I looked at thrift stores for some velvet that I could use to make these, but didn't find any worth buying. Our Thanksgiving is long gone, so maybe I'll do these next year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your pumpkins! And I actually like your clay stems better than the real ones :) Great job! Now I want some too...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! I love these..the rich velvet and the colors are stunning and on that beautiful stand. You have gorgeous pics and I love the effect of the silver and gold. I have to look at the tutorial on how to make these.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for featuring my velvet pumpkin tutorial :-) I love your idea for the clay stems! Clever ;-)
    Have a fantastic Thanksgiving!
    Erin ~The Lemonista

    ReplyDelete
  10. The feather touches are gorgeous! I'm loving another Thanksgiving Decor post in bloggy world!!! Your guests will be most impressed!! I love this!

    Aimee @ ItsOverflowing.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have seen those velvet pumpkins before and thought they were cute. Yours however.. GORGEOUS! I just love the gold clay stems you made. They totally make it awesome.
    I usually read your posts through Google Reader, but I came directly to your blog and it looks like you changed up the look of your blog too? Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. They are beautiful! I am loving velvet this year, but I dont have any! Great colors!
    Have a very Happy Thanksgiving!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can't wait to see your thanksgiving table! It is going to look amazing! I am sort of sad I am not hosting thanksgiving this year...

    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that you used Crayola clay...I might take some from my kids craft stash to do this...brilliant!

    I gave you the “Liebster” award, and it was announced in today’s post on my blog:

    Simply Beautiful Now
    (http://simplybeautifulnow.blogspot.com/)

    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was looking at your thumbnail on the diy showoff wondering how to make these with no remaining pumpkin stems...and then I clicked over and read that you made yours! Yay!
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...